If you’re a professional, you’re a brand. In this episode of Content Matters, Andy and Barry discuss Barry’s book, The Road to Recognition, and highlight many of its lessons on developing your personal brand in the age of digital media.
Listen to “The Road to Recognition with Personal Branding ” on Spreaker.
In This Episode:
You need to be the CEO of your personal brand, which means you need to take charge of what people know about you, what they can search for, and what they find. You have to be ahead of the search engines. Listen to Andy and Barry explain what that means, with advice including:
- Being the CEO of the brand called You (a nod to author Tom Peters)
- How to pursue personal branding without getting overwhelmed
- The need for a platform
- Why you should Google
- How to optimize your LinkedIn profile
- Why personal branding is content marketing
- The importance of generosity
- Buidling relationships instead of just likes and followers
- Aligning your activities with your passions
In the cheese & mousetrap segment:
- Barry talks about creating content with other experts who have worthwhile stories to tell.
- Andy explains why you should claim every social media account for your name, in every format.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Road to Recognition: The A-to-Z Guide to Personal Branding for Accelerating Your Professional Success in The Age of Digital Media, book co-authored by Barry
- LinkedIn Best Practices for Developing Your Personal Brand, blog post by Barry
Coming in the show’s next episode:
Non-obvious content promotion ideas